27 Sep Swingin’ on Broadway: Charleston Jazz Workshop
If you love fast jazz music and even faster footwork, mark your calendars for our Charleston swing workshop this fall. Think Broadway meets a 1920s flapper at a live big band concert: upbeat music, nonstop movement and tons of fun!
We’ll be drawing inspiration from Charleston dancers such as Ksenia Parkhatskaya and “swing kids” like these guys, as well as some “classic” jazz and swing movements you might see in Broadway musicals. No need to worry about partnering — while swing is often done as a social dance, we’ll be focusing on solo movements in this hour and a half long jazz extravaganza. After warming up with a few “follow-the-leader” routines, you’ll begin stringing moves together to build a longer “show” piece. Keep the choreography simple, or challenge yourself to layer in extra riffs and turns, it’s up to you. Instructor Sherrilyn Billger will take extra time to break down the faster steps so that everyone can master them. Just make sure to bring your stage-ready smiles, and come dressed to sweat because this workshop will definitely be a workout.
So, if you love jazz, swing, tap or all of the above, don’t miss this chance to take to the stage with some show-stopping moves. We can’t promise you stardom, but we can guarantee an uplifting, sweat-drenched good time. No prior musical theater or dance experience required. Ages 13 and up.
Swingin’ on Broadway: Charleston Jazz
- Saturday, October 22 from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Midtown Village (1301 Locust St., 2nd Floor)
- Tickets: $25 but you can snag “early bird” prices and save $5 by purchasing your ticket by Oct. 8! Philly Dance Fitness Members automatically get an additional 20 percent off.
- Wear: Comfortable workout clothing that you don’t mind sweating in. Short swingy skirts over leotards or dance shorts are recommended if you have them to accentuate the style of the movements. For footwear, character shoes are best, but sneakers or jazz shoes also work just fine.
- Bring: Water and jazz hands.
Space is limited to make sure everyone has room to dance, so reserve your spot — and save a few bucks — by purchasing tickets in advance. Pre-sale tickets are refundable in the form of Philly Dance Fitness store credit up to 48 hours before the event.