18 Mar Swingin’ Into Spring: Social Dance & April Series
Posted at 14:30h
in Homepage News
This March, we launched our first-ever crossover class — East Coast Swing
— with sister company Ballroom Bliss
, and we’re so excited to see many of our students enjoying the art of partner dance!
To wrap up a great first month, we’re hosting a casual social swing dance
at our Midtown studio. So whether you’re ready to show off your new skills or get a taste of what’s covered in the series, we hope you’ll join us for 90 minutes of high-energy fun
The event will begin with a quick 20-minute refresher on swing basics and social dance etiquette, then the floor opens for dancing. Instructor Kira Stein will be on hand to DJ and answer questions.
East Coast Swing Social Dance
- Thurs., March 31 at our Midtown Studio (1301 Locust St., 2nd Floor), 8:30-10 p.m.
- $12 drop-in. Members get an additional discount, make sure you’re logged into your account before making your purchase online. Those who registered for the March series only pay $5 at the door!
- Light refreshments will be served
- Wear comfortable clothing you can move in, but feel free to dress to impress!
April Swing Dance Series
If you come to the social dance and find you just can’t get enough of this swingin’ style, we hope you’ll choose to join us for our April series
! In this “Beginner Swing Level II” class, we’ll spend some time reviewing basic steps, but then progress into new vocabulary and movements to continue building your skills.
Don’t be surprised if you work up a bit of a sweat in this 50-minute technique class, as East Coast swing is well-suited to fast tempos. For that reason, it’s also one of the most fun — and useful — social dances. Class might also include a variety of jive, swing and lindy drills to get your feet and heart hoppin’.
Since you’ll be adding patterns each week, we strongly encourage pre-registering for the month series. Drop-ins are also welcome — but note that it will help to have a little swing dance background if you plan to join in the middle of the session. No need to come with a partner, you’ll rotate throughout the class. Perhaps we can even inspire you to check out the local social dancing scene.
Our small group technique classes normally cost $12 apiece, but by pre-registering for the month, you’ll lock in a discounted rate, secure a spot and guarantee a greater level of individual attention than what we can typically offer in large-group classes.
- Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. with Kira
- April 7, 14, 21 and 28
- Midtown Village, 1301 Locust St., 2nd Floor (enter through the door on 13th Street marked with the Philly Dance Fitness sign)
- Wear comfortable street or workout clothing and supportive shoes such as sneakers or jazz shoes.
- Low/moderate intensity | Beginner friendly