Welcome to Philly Dance Fitness! On this page you’ll find everything you need to know about our studio policies and procedures, which also apply to our sister company, Ballroom Bliss. Not the most exciting stuff, we admit, but if you have questions about what to wear, how to sign up, expiration dates on class packages or anything else along these lines, you should find the answers here.
Before attending any of our classes, all students must sign a liability waiver. You can do this electronically when you create a profile in our MindBody portal. You will not need to sign it again unless we update the text.
- Unless otherwise specified, comfortable workout clothing and supportive shoes are your best bet for our dance fitness programs. Dance sneakers or jazz shoes are also appropriate for most classes.
- Ballet slippers, socks or bare feet are best for Ballet, Barre and Contemporary classes.
- Tap shoes are pretty important for Tap Technique classes and nice to have, but not necessary, for Tap Tonic.
- We do not have a dress code for Ballet technique classes, however, we recommend tights or leggings paired with a tank top or leotard so that you can see your form in the mirror.
In the winter, please bring an extra pair of clean, dry shoes to change into before you dance. This helps us keep dirt, salt and snow off the floor, which not only prevents slips/injuries, but also extends the life of our dance floors.
- We’re often asked whether children can attend our classes. Unless otherwise noted, our dance fitness and technique programs are geared toward adults. We loosely consider an adult to be anyone 14 and older.
- If you have a younger dancer who you think would be fine participating along with an adult crowd, we’d be happy to consider an exception. Simply email us and we can figure out if there’s a good fit.
- In general, our students range in age from early 20s to upwards of 60.
- We also occasionally offer classes geared toward children and regularly teach private and semi-private lessons for kids. Again, just contact us if you’d like to schedule a session at your convenience.
- Please be respectful and considerate of your fellow students. This includes coming dressed in appropriate clothing, taking care of personal hygiene, refraining from excessive profanity, throwing trash into garbage cans instead of leaving it on the floor, and being polite.
- In crowded classes, please be mindful of your space to avoid bumping into others and try to create “windows” to stagger with other students so that everyone can see.
- If you arrive to the studio before the prior class has finished, please keep conversations quiet or whisper so as not to disrupt the students who are still on the floor. This is mostly of concern at 1624 South Street, where we do not have a separate waiting area.
- All students and Members are strongly encouraged to pre-register for classes online by visiting our MindBody portal. While we do accept drop-ins at the door, having a confirmed reservation is the only way to 100% guarantee a spot in class.
- We hate to turn anyone away, but for safety reasons, we may have no choice if the studio is over capacity.
- If you are unable to register for a class online, it means the class is already full. However, we encourage you to add your name to the waiting list — you will automatically be emailed if another person drops his/her spot and a space opens up for you.
- Classes are open for online registration up to two weeks in advance.
- Workshops and one-time events are open for registration up to 60 days in advance.
Members: Please note that the online system will not allow unpaid sign-ups, which means you cannot register for classes that occur after your monthly renewal date until the payment has processed.
For example, if your payment is processed on the 15th of every month, you will not be able to sign up for classes on the 16th (or any other date later in the month) until the payment goes through on the 15th.
To avoid this monthly lag and get priority access to class registration, you can sign up for a paid-upfront annual or semi-annual membership, available by request only by emailing email@example.com.
Please remember that we hold classes at multiple studios and the schedules are subject to change. We try our best not to change or move well-attended classes, but we cannot guarantee that a particular class will remain on the schedule at a particular time. You can always find the up-to-date schedule on our website. The location of a particular class is listed next to the class name on the schedule page on both this website and our MindBody reservation portal.
Note: If you use the MindBody app to make reservations, you will likely see a map of our flagship studio (1624 South Street) underneath your booking confirmation. Many of our classes are held here, but not all, so please refer to the address listed next to the name of the class itself.
- Please arrive to the studio at least five minutes before class begins and check in with the instructor.
- If you arrive late, let the instructor know at the end of the class that you still need to be signed in.
- Be aware that if you do not arrive on time your spot may be given to another student.
- If space remains upon a late arrival, you are still welcome to join the class, but we ask that you be discreet and warm-up on your own.
Online Reservations Cancellation Policies
For ongoing group classes:
- Students may cancel a class reservation up to 60 minutes prior to the start of class through the online MindBody portal OR mobile app.
- If you use a drop-in pass or class package and cancel prior to the 60-minute window, the class will be returned to your account and available to apply to a future reservation. If you do not cancel prior to the 60-minute window, you will forfeit the class payment.
- If there is some reason you cannot cancel your reservation online, we are happy to help, as long as you contact us prior to that same 60-minute window via phone or email.
- Please note that we cannot always answer the phone, especially during certain evening hours when classes are in session, so please leave a message and we will be sure to get back to you as soon as possible.
- Members and Unlimited Pass holders are allowed two “late cancels” and/or “no shows” per calendar month without penalty. After that, there will be a $10 charge per late-cancel/no-show, tallied and charged at the end of each month.
- Note that you must reconcile any cumulative late / no show charges before resuming classes in the following month.
For workshops, special events & series:
- Students may request refunds for tickets in the form of store credit up to 48 hours before a scheduled workshop by emailing us. No refunds will be granted after that.
For appointments (offsite events, private parties, personal training & private ballroom, ballet or dance fitness lessons):
- No charge to cancel or reschedule private lessons, personal training sessions or small group classes with two days or more notice. After that, there is a cancellation fee of $35. If an appointment is canceled less than 12 hours beforehand, the full lesson fee will be deducted.
- Private and offsite events may be rescheduled without penalty with two days or more notice. After that, half of the event fee will be charged. All security deposits are non-refundable.
Because setting up private and off-site events requires significant time to coordinate instructors, programs and other logistics, we ask that such requests be made four or more weeks in advance of the event. A non-refundable $50 security deposit is due at least 4 weeks before the event date to confirm the booking. However, if we have available space and instructors, we will do our best to accommodate event requests on shorter notice.
- For rush bookings 2-4 weeks before the date of the event, half of the total payment will be required to confirm the event. This amount is non-refundable, even if the event is later canceled.
- Payment in full will be required to confirm private event bookings less than two weeks from the date of the event. Likewise, this amount is non-refundable.
- Philly Dance Fitness & Ballroom Bliss services, including Memberships, Unlimited Passes, Class Cards, drop-in passes, private lessons and private event fees, are non-refundable.
- Memberships and Unlimited Passes may not be shared or transferred to other students.
- Class Cards cannot be shared or transferred, and we cannot refund unused punches.
- Merchandise may be returned or exchanged for other sizes as long as the product is in new, un-used condition.
Expiration dates are clearly listed when making online purchases, but you can also look them up by clicking on the “account” page of your Mindbody profile. We cannot honor unused services once the expiration date has passed.
- Private lessons and personal training sessions are valid for a year from date of purchase
- Class cards must be activated within three months of purchase and are valid for 3 months from the date of first use. The card will automatically expire 3 months after the purchase date if you do not sign up for at least one class within that time frame.
- Drop-in passes are valid for 3 months from the date of purchase
- Technique discount passes expire 40 days from the date of purchase (allows the pass holder to attend one makeup class if they can’t attend all four in the month)
- Unlimited Month Passes are good for 30 days from the date of purchase
- Gift cards never expire!
Emergency Class Cancellations
Planned cancellations — such as reduced schedules around holidays — are posted in our weekly newsletters and on our social media channels. On very rare occasions, inclement weather, an instructor emergency or low enrollment will require us to cancel a class on short notice. These cancellations are updated immediately on our online schedule. If you are signed up for a class that gets canceled, you will be emailed directly and, of course, you will be able to save your Class Card punch or drop-in pass for another session.
- We operate out of several spaces in Center City, Fairmount and South Philly, all with appropriate dance flooring and full-length mirrors.
- Our facilities do not have locker rooms or showers, but do have bathroom spaces, which can be used as changing areas.
- We have water bottles available for purchase for 50 cents at our Rittenhouse location (1624 South Street) and a complimentary water cooler at our Midtown location (1301 Locust St).
- While most of our classes do not require equipment, yoga mats are provided for classes in which there is a floorwork component. Of course, you are also welcome to bring a mat of your own!
- Find more information about our locations, including addresses, directions, parking tips and more, on this page.