Push your ballet technique to the next level in our pointe and pre-pointe classes!
Join ballet program director Beverly Holskin in these 35-minute, small group classes for a series of special exercises to strengthen the feet and ankles. Learn to use your weight and energy to roll up and down on pointe with delicate strength and ease.
For those newer to pointe, we recommend starting with pre-pointe on Fridays where you’ll cover the basics in “soft” slippers, before gradually working your way onto pointe. Of course, newcomers are also welcome to join the Monday or Saturday sections, just recognize that you’ll be working at your own pace alongside students who have already been dancing on pointe.
We also occasionally hold “Beginner Pointe Intensive” workshop series specifically designed for dancers approved to work “en pointe” for the first time. These are often held on Thursday nights at the Rittenhouse studio directly following our Beginner I Ballet technique class. Class begins with foot stretching exercises both in bare feet and with pointe shoes. In addition to properly “breaking in” new pointe shoes, you’ll learn how to care for them and correctly tie the ribbons. The goal is to ultimately accomplish rises to the full pointe both in releve and eleve, along with other related pointe barre work. Because this is such a concentrated and progressive technical class, registrants are asked to commit to the entire month series and also attend the preceding Beginner I Ballet class as a warm-up. If you’ve never danced on pointe shoes before and would like to see if this class is a good fit for you, please contact Beverly. Note: After the current beginner intensive ends, we’ll take a brief summer break to work on performances for Philadelphia Dance Day. However, we will likely begin a new series in August or September, so please reach out if you’d be interested in signing up!
- Mondays, 8:15 p.m.
- Rittenhouse, 1624 South St.
- Pointe experience recommended – Adv. beginner/intermediate level
- Fridays (Pre-Pointe) at 7:45 p.m.
- Midtown, 1301 Locust St., 2nd floor (inside NEST, enter through the door on 13th Street)
- Absolute beginner & Beginner level. Work in soft shoe slippers or pointe shoes
- Saturdays at 12:15 p.m.
- Rittenhouse, 1624 South St.
- Pointe experience recommended – Beginner/Adv. beginner level
- Cost: $13 drop-in, or lock in a discounted rate by purchasing a 4-session month pass! These technique passes actually expire 40 days from the date of purchase to allow dancers time to attend one make-up class if they’re unable to get to all four within a month.
- Pre-registration requested — sign up on our online schedule below. Enrollment is capped at eight students to ensure everyone receives individual attention.
- Because this is such an intense technical class, we recommend that dancers attend the preceding ballet class or do a thorough warm-up on their own to avoid injury.
Can’t make these times? Additional private and semi-private (up to four students) lessons are available. Call 215-645-2717 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to schedule a lesson.