No summer slow down here! We’re heaping on some extra heat this July with two new classes, performance workshop series to prepare routines for the upcoming Philadelphia Dance Day showcase, more Frisky Fridays and a trio of FREE events! Here’s the scoop:
Join us for Jazz Fusion twice a week this summer! Warm up with “follow-the-leader” routines, then learn progressive choreography infused with jazz and lyrical movements, plus a little pop or musical theater inspiration depending on the music. In addition to a new Monday class in Midtown with instructor Christine Fisler, you can also continue getting jazzy with Jody at 11 a.m. on Saturdays in South Philly.
- Mondays at 7:30 p.m., starting July 9
- Midtown, 1301 Locust St., 2nd Floor
- Medium impact | Beginner/Adv. Beginner | Jazz shoes or dance sneakers preferred, sneakers will also work
Note: This takes the place of our Monday night Barre Fit class while Deb is out on maternity leave. Monday Dance Party Boot Camp will remain in Midtown as usual but starts slightly earlier, at 6:30 p.m., covered by the fabulous Liz Giraldo and Michelle Krichilsky over the next two months.
Get hyped for the weekend with this nonstop hip-hop happy hour led by new instructor Alison Gumeny. No need to know anything about hip-hop footwork — just follow along. We don’t care if you nail the moves as long as you’re having fun and sweating!
- Fridays at 5 p.m., starting July 13
- Rittenhouse, 1624 South St.
- High impact | Absolute beginner friendly | Wear sneakers
While we’re thrilled to introduce these classes to our lineup, we’re also putting a few others on a short break as we know that many students will be away for summer vacations:
- POUND will be on hiatus in July, though at least one section will be back in the fall.
- Sunday Zumba in Fairmount will leave the schedule, but you can still head there for a weekend dose of Ricky’s Hip-Hop Cardio as well as the newly added BollyX on Tuesday nights.
- Sunday BalletEXTREME will be on break in July and August, returning after Labor Day weekend in its usual 10 a.m. slot. You can continue to catch BalletEXTREME with Beverly on Tuesday nights all summer long.
And a few other shifts to make room for our Dance Day performance series:
- Wednesday Hip-Hop with Maya will begin a half hour later, at 7:30 p.m., just for the month of July, to leave time for the performance mini-series following Contemporary class.
- Tap Tonic will be off for a few weeks to make room for the Dance Day Jazz Fusion performance series, but resume the first week of August in its usual 6:30 p.m. Thursday time slot.
Finally, a reminder to refer to our online schedule if you’re planning to drop-in last minute. We may cancel some of our smaller class sections if there are not enough students registered by noon that day. You can help us avoid this by signing up in advance for classes you plan to attend.
If you’re itching to get onstage, now’s your chance! Several of our instructors are putting together pieces for the Philadelphia Dance Day showcase on Saturday, July 28.
Sign up to participate in tap, Bollywood, jazz, hip-hop, ballet or pointe numbers. Whether you’re a beginner or a longtime dancer, we’ve got a place for you to shine on stage, so don’t be afraid to join in! A few rehearsals begin the last week of June, but most start the first week of July. Click here for all the details and registration links.
Frisky Friday: Striptease Dance Parties
Build confidence and tone your entire body at these mini workshops featuring smokin’ hot dance routines, complimentary wine and refreshments! This month, we’ve got a bootylicious hip-hop routine to SZA’s “The Weekend” followed by an uber explicit heels routine to “My Neck, My Back.” These striptease parties sometimes sell out, so be sure to pre-register to secure your spot!
- July 13, 2018 — Booty Pop: Drop, swirl, twerk and grind in this booty-themed party! You’ll be working that butt in all sorts of angles as you warm up with follow-the-leader routines and then learn a sexy hip-hop combination to SZA’s “The Weekend.”
- July 27, 2018— Stiletto Strip: Dominate the dance floor as you snake through several downright dirty hip-hop warm-ups; then don your heels to learn this oh-so-explicit Yanis Marshall choreo to “My Neck My Back.” We’ll be using the original version of the song so come prepared for an ultra-explicit night.
- Both at 8:30 p.m. in Midtown (1301 Locust St, 2nd Floor)
- $18 tickets include wine and refreshments; Members get 20% off!
Philadelphia Dance Day Events
We’ve got not one but THREE (!!!) free community dance events heading your way this July! The hallmark Philadelphia Dance Day on July 28 features more than 25 FREE workshops followed by a huge $10 evening event complete with more instructional sessions, a capstone performance showcase and social dancing.
Since we’re so pumped about this amazing nonprofit festival, we’re also involved in organizing two free preview events. Click these links for more information about each one:
- Dance Day Preview at Sound Space: July 14
- Cardio Mashup dance party at Eakins Oval: July 25
- Philadelphia Dance Day: July 28