01 Jul HOT July Events
July 1, 2020
Hey crew! Oh, how we miss seeing you in person, but we’ll hopefully get to that point soon! Since the city announced that the “green” reopening phase for indoor fitness facilities will be delayed until at least August, we’ll just keep on with our all-virtual schedule. But that doesn’t mean we’re slowing down! We’re still streaming more than 30 live classes each week plus we’ve added a TON of amazing events to keep you entertained all month long. Read on for details plus a few schedule updates.
VIRTUAL EVENTS & WORKSHOPS
Learn a complete routine to “My Shot” from the musical “Hamilton” in this 75-minute workshop led by Ricky Evans. Originally created for our winter “Take It Off Broadway” show, Ricky has updated and adapted this routine for solo dancing just in time for the upcoming Disney+ release of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s hit musical. Get pumped for the at-home viewing as you dance it out!
- Wednesday, July 1 at 5;30 p.m.
- $20; Members get 20% off!!
Join us in cheering on our crew of student performers as they make their online debut(t)! In addition to these incredible students, you’ll be treated to solos from instructors/local pro performers HoneyTree EvilEye, Tiel, Kayla, Lee-Ann, Selene Rose and Michelle! We’ve got glitter, homemade costumes and all sorts of shenanigans to brighten up your weekend, so don’t miss out!
- July 11, 2020; virtual doors at 8 p.m.; show at 8:30 p.m.
- $15; save 20% by purchasing up to a week before the show!
Build confidence and tone your entire body with some smokin’ hot dance routines! This month, Timaree will be leading the party. Expect a mix of follow-the-leader routines set to popular hip-hop and R&B songs along with a few longer combos.
- July 17, 2020 at 8 p.m.
- $12; Members get 20% off!
Disney fans, don’t miss this epic dance tribute to some of your favorite animated heroes! Join from the comfort of your own home for 90 minutes of uplifting theater jazz and pop choreo led by instructors Lee-Ann and Jody. Expect a mix of “follow-the-leader” routines and short choreographies set to upbeat songs from “Lion King,” “Moana,” “Hercules,” “Frozen,” “Aladdin” and more. All ages welcome!
- Saturday, July 18 at 2 p.m.
- $20; Members get 20% off!!
- The Monday evening line-up shifts a bit: Dance Party Boot Camp with Timaree will start at 4:30 p.m. followed by House Party Fitness with Liz at 5:30 p.m. and Zumba with Rachel at 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday Jazz Tech moves to 4 p.m. and BalletEXTREME moves to Wednesday mornings at 11 a.m., both with Beverly.
- African Caribbean Fitness with Lehla moves from Wednesday mornings to Fridays at 4 p.m.
- The rest of the Friday evening classes shift back a half hour: Dance Party Boot Camp with Lael will start at 5 p.m.; Cardio Pop Express with Rachel starts at 6 p.m. followed by Zumba Express; and Ballet II with Beverly starts at 7 p.m., followed by Pointe.
NEW Tuesday Cardio Pop
Join us in welcoming back Tiel, who will be live streaming Cardio Pop on Tuesdays at 6 p.m. Amp up your heart rate as you follow along to upbeat pop hits past and present.
We’re continuing to experiment with a rotating variety of shorter classes. From Cardio Pop to STRONG30 to Stretch, we’ve got something for every taste. Be sure to check the weekly schedule for the latest offerings. And remember, if you can’t make the live broadcasts, you can find these quick-hit classes in the Express DVR playlist on the livestream page.
As a special extra for our ballet members, we’ll be doing three Zoom sessions this month to more closely recreate the live class experience. Dancers will follow along to specific pre-recorded classes while also logged into a Zoom session so that Beverly can focus on giving real-time feedback and corrections. Ballet members, be on the lookout for an email with all the details and links. Meanwhile, save these dates:
- Sunday, July 12 at 1 p.m.
- Thursday, July 16 at 7 p.m.
- Friday, July 24 at 7 p.m.
‘Mini’ Philadelphia Dance Day
Due to COVID-19 safety restrictions related large gatherings, a few months ago we made the difficult decision to cancel the nonprofit Philadelphia Dance Day festival this July. Likewise, since the OVAL is also closed this summer, we won’t have our usual free preview event there either. That said, we were able to organize a small outdoor workshop on July 25 to at least mark the occasion. Find more details here.
Since we’ve received some questions about reopening, here’s what we can tell you now:
- We hope to gradually reopen at whatever date state and local officials deem it is safe to do so. As of right now, word is this could happen in August. But, of course, that could change.
- We will follow any required safety protocols for indoor dancing. That will likely mean reduced capacity, designated “spots” on the floor to ensure adequate social distance, extra cleaning/sanitizing and face masks during check-in (and probably during class, too).
- Once allowed to reopen, we will likely start with a couple of evening classes at the Midtown location, since there is more room to spread out there.
Stay tuned for a more detailed description of everything we’re planning to do to make sure our studios are clean and safe for reopening. Until then, we’ll “see you” online!