13 Mar Hip-Hop Battle Performance Series
Step 1: Join a crew.
Step 2: Learn a ridiculously awesome hip-hop routine.
Step 3: Battle it out onstage!
Then, wild standing ovations as you kill it like the Kinjaz facing the Jabbawockeez on “World of Dance.”
Okay, maybe not *quite* to that level…but you know, nothing wrong with dreaming. In real life, it takes years of ongoing, focused rehearsals to create the super-precise visual harmony that you see professional dance crews show off during reality TV shows. That kind of teamwork is serious business. We know y’all don’t have time for that, and frankly, neither do we. But wouldn’t it be fun to get a taste of what it’s like to put together a group hip-hop routine and duke it out onstage??
And so, the inaugural Philly Dance Fitness Hip-Hop Throwdown is born.
Three of our incredibly talented instructors — Brittany, Jody & Ricky — will direct the headlining student routines in this debut show, which will be held on Thursday, May 2 at the Ruba Club in Northern Liberties. In addition to these team pieces, the show will include a few improv dance battle interludes plus guest appearances by local pro hip-hop performers.
As for the student teams, don’t be intimidated by the references to pro crews — no prior hip-hop experience is required for our battle. We’ll choreograph the routines so that dancers of ALL levels can shine. If you’ve had a blast dancing through one of our ongoing weekly hip-hop classes, you’ll fit right in. Of course, with only four rehearsals, the finished product won’t look as sophisticated as the pros, but we’ll make up for that in our imaginations…
Rehearsals begin the first week of April and the finished pieces will be performed at our “Hip-Hop Throwdown” from 8 – 10 p.m. on Thursday, May 2. Please make sure you can attend all the rehearsals and the final show as any absences will impact the entire group’s progression.
So…ready to battle? Space is limited so sign up now to stake your rightful spot onstage!
Tuesday Hip-Hop Performance Series — Join Team Ricky – This crew is FULL but we’re still seeking dancers for the THURSDAY and SUNDAY groups!
- Learn a routine set to “Wow” by Post Malone
- 9 p.m. on Tuesdays in Rittenhouse (1624 South St)
- April 2, 9, 16 and 23
- Learn a routine to “WTF” by Missy Elliott
- 5:30 p.m. on Thursdays in Midtown (1301 Locust St, 2nd Floor)
- April 4, 11, 18 and 25 (*The April 25 rehearsal will be held at 1015 S. Dorrance Street due to a previously scheduled studio conflict in Midtown)
- 10 a.m. on Sundays in Fairmount (2511 W. Girard St)
- April 7, 14, 21* and 28 (*Since April 21 is Easter, this rehearsal may be rescheduled if it works better for the group to have this date off. Alternative dates could be Mon. April 15 or 29 at 9 p.m. in our Midtown studio. This will be determined within the group after the first rehearsal.)
Can’t make this show but still itching to perform? Stay tuned for more performance series starting in late June to prepare jazz, contemporary, tap, hip-hop, ballet and pointe routines for the Philadelphia Dance Day showcase on Saturday, July 27.