25 Aug Fall Into Fitness
Fall means back to school and back to the grind for many people, so we’re working extra hard to give you even more ways to squeeze fitness into your busy schedules. We’re diving into September with six new classes, awesome special events and a new special on our unlimited month pass. By request, we’re also bringing more weekend options to our new Fairmount studio so you can find a convenient place to dance no matter where you live. Read on for the details and also be sure to check out our online schedule for a few reductions over Labor Day weekend.
As vacation season winds down, we’re ramping back up with the return of a few classes that had been on “summer break,” another section of our Pointe Intensive and new offerings at our Fairmount studio:
Beginner Pointe Intensive
If you’ve been dreaming of dancing on pointe, this small-group workshop series is for you! Elevate your ballet skills to the next level (pun intended!) as you learn to roll up and down en pointe with ease.
- Thursdays at 8:15 p.m. with Beverly (Rittenhouse, 1624 South St)
- Pre-registration required for the four-week series starting Sept. 7. Please contact Beverly, our ballet director, to discuss enrollment.
Belly dance is back! Sway, shimmy and sweat your way to a super-toned core in this uptempo workout that incorporates a variety of belly dance styles, from traditional Middle Eastern to earthy folkloric. Challenge your mind, muscle control, balance and flexibility as you work your hips, abs, back and arms. While you’ll be doing authentic movements, the focus is keeping you moving rather than perfecting technique.
- Wednesdays at 8 p.m. with Roberto (Rittenhouse, 1624 South St)
- Tuesdays at 6 p.m. with Lee-Ann (Fairmount, 2511 W. Girard Ave)
- Also offered at a variety of other times at our South Philly, Rittenhouse and Midtown studios.
- Wednesdays at 7 p.m. with new instructor Margo (moved from Saturdays) in (Fairmount, 2511 W. Girard Ave.)
- Also offered at a variety of other times at our Rittenhouse and Midtown studios.
Work up a sweat as you bust a move to hot hip-hop songs. Unlike our other hip-hop classes where you may build a longer choreography, here you’ll spend the entire time following along to a nonstop series of high energy routines. This cardio-focused program is perfect for beginners and seasoned dancers alike.
- Sundays at 11:30 a.m. with Trina (Fairmount, 2511 W. Girard Ave.) starting Sept. 10
- Note: This will be held in lieu of the Dance Party Boot Camp class Trina had been teaching on Mondays.
We’re bringing the noise to Fairmount with a new section of this bangin’ strength conditioning workout! You may have met Maureen subbing POUND at our Rittenhouse location; now you can jam with her every Saturday starting Sept. 9! Get ready to unleash your rock-band dreams in this full-body cardio jam session that combines light resistance with simulated drumming. Expect a mix of cardio, Pilates, isometric poses and plyometrics.
- Saturdays at 10 a.m. with Maureen (Fairmount, 2511 W. Girard Ave)
- Also offered at 7 p.m. on Fridays with Lehla in Rittenhouse
A few other notes:
- We’re pleased to welcome new instructor Gloria Yiming Li, who will be taking over Zumba in South Philly. Kyle is heading back to graduate school, but you may still see him subbing here and there!
- Tuesday BollyX and Sunday Power Stretch will be on break to accommodate changes in our instructors’ schedules.
Just Dance: Lady Gaga Cardio Pop
In honor of Lady Gaga’s upcoming tour stops in Philadelphia, we’re doing an encore of our dance tribute to this talented artist. Join two of Gaga‘s biggest fans — Deb and Timaree — to celebrate her catchy music and unique moves in this 90-minute, nonstop cardio party. Expect routines set to songs from her latest album, such as “A-Yo” and “Perfect Illusion,” plus tons of past hits from “Alejandro,” to “Bad Romance,” to her very first single, “Just Dance.” Gaga-inspired outfits welcome! Find more details here or on this Facebook event.
- Sunday, Sept. 10 at 3 p.m. in South Philly (1170 S. Broad St.)
- $25; Members get an additional 20 percent off.
Frisky Friday Striptease Dance Parties
If you haven’t made it to one of our Frisky Friday events yet, mark your calendars now because these mini-workshops have been known to sell out! This month we’ll be doing a burlesque chair routine plus some sassy floor work. Even though you may notice recurring themes, we’re always rolling out new choreography so you’re sure to get fresh music and moves to inspire your inner vixen.
- Friday, September 8, 2017
- Burlesque Chair Dance: Warm up with follow-the-leader routines, then learn a show-stopping chair combo to Christina Aguilera’s “Express” from the movie “Burlesque.”
- Friday, September 22, 2017
- Booty Pop: Dominate your own stage with this mix of sexy hip-hop and downright dirty floor work featuring a longform choreo to Chris Brown’s “Privacy.”
- Both at 8:30 p.m. in Midtown (1301 Locust St, 2nd Floor)
- $15 tickets include wine and refreshments; Members get an additional 20 percent off!
We know you’ve got lots of things competing for your time already, so we’re trying to make sure that cost, at least, won’t prevent you from dancing! Take advantage of almost everything on our schedule with an unlimited month pass, available now for HALF OFF the regular price! Get 30 days of unlimited access to all of our ongoing group fitness and ballet classes for only $60! The only things not included in the unlimited pass are specialty programs like small-group technique (Pointe, Tap, etc) and workshops. To redeem this incredible deal, enter promo code: umpfall17 when you purchase an unlimited month pass in our online store. One time use per customer.
In addition to this promotion, we also have monthly discount passes for small group technique classes. If you’re looking for more individual attention to up your dance expertise, sign up for our Bollywood Tech, Pointe or Beginner Tap Technique programs. Enrollment is capped at all of these classes, so signing up for the month guarantees your spot and saves off the drop-in price.