26 Sep A Hooptacular Workshop
Add some new dance moves to your repertoire with this hooptacular workshop. You may have attempted to spin a hula hoop around your waist, but we’ll show you how much more artistic movement you can do with this simple prop.
In addition to basic “around the waist” hooping, instructor Asha Brightwell will teach a variety of fundamental off-the-body isolations and transitional moves suitable for total beginners and even intermediate hoopers (but not advanced hoopers looking for fancy new tricks). If time permits, you’ll close the workshop with a short routine.
Aside from looking cool, hoop dancing is a great form of exercise and stress relief. Improve balance, coordination and strength as you learn to spin the hoop around various parts of your body. It’s low impact but high energy, and you’ll be in constant motion as you practice each move. Best of all, you forget that it’s a workout because it’s so much fun!
Don’t discount this workshop because you think you can’t keep a hula hoop spinning around your waist. Most likely, you were using the plastic version found in toy stores. We’ll be using a heavier, more durable material that’s designed for dancing and easier to spin. We’ll have a small supply of these hoops for the class to practice with. If you’re interested in buying your own, please let us know and we may be able to facilitate an order. Dance hoops generally cost between $20 and $30 apiece.
So, whether you’ve always wanted to learn how to hula hoop or were the hoop champion of your block as a kid, come explore this form of dance with us. We promise you’ll learn something new and have fun in the process. Maybe you’ll even leave with a new favorite hobby…
A minimum of six students will be required to hold the workshop, so if you know you want to come, please sign up sooner than later so we know if we have enough interest.
Hoop Dancing Workshop
- Sunday, October 18, 2015 from 6 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Midtown, 1301 Locust St, 2nd floor (inside the NEST/Green Eggs building)
- $25 BUT save $5 by purchasing early bird tickets through Oct. 4. Members get an additional $5 off, no coupon code required as long as you log into your account prior to checking out online. Due to the extended preparation required for workshops, non-members may not use gift certificates.
- If you have a hoop already, please bring it. We will have a small supply of hoops for students to use. Please contact us if you are interested in purchasing your own professional quality hoop before the workshop.
- Baggy clothing may catch on the hoops so we recommend wearing tank tops with leggings or shorts
See a few of the movements you’ll be learning in this clip featuring your instructor, Asha Brightwell, practicing at home and also performing in a few burlesque shows.